Thursday, October 21, 2010

wow. Time flies.

It's been a while since I posted (again) but I have lots to share with you! I do. All the pictures are on hub's computer, though. But I did complete a project today that I am excited to share.
A few months back I made my hubby a giant, magnetic wall hanging that looks like a retro 'big chill' fridge (pics and tutorial to come soon!) to hang his students' work on. He needed magnets and any old thing just would not do! So I made him the following. 
So. I love how bottle caps look so fabulously retro. Don't you? They fit perfect with the retro fridge.

Using multiple colors or whatever color you like spray paint your bottle caps. I chose orange because I picked funky ecelectic papers and wanted it all to stand out.

 
Cut circles for the center of all or some of your bottlecaps. The should sit a little inside because bottle caps are rounded and if you make them the exact size, they won't glue down all the way. Mod Podge the circles on and then Mod Podge over them again.



Using Mod Podge dimensional magic or Glossy Accents create a clear epoxy-like finished top to your magnets.
Then using carboard or foam or anything else you can find, (you need this so the magnets will line up with the bottom of your bottle caps or they won't work as well) glue the filler in with hot glue and then glue a high powered, light weight ceramic magnet inside.



I know, I know, I don't take great pictures. But you get the gist. Aren't they cute?!




1 comment:

Esplins said...

Love the magnets! They look so cute on the fridge in Dave's room. Also, Dave shared some of your caramel with us the other day and it was de.li.cious!! I'd love to have the recipe. I've been craving it ever since.