Thursday, January 24, 2013

Roasted Winter Veggies and Sausage

Again with the photography!

Anywho. I love really hearty meals in the winter... and if they are sorta healthy... even better. That way I can trick my bod into thinkin' I'm storing up for the long, cold months, but NOT (ish).

K. This is another recipe I made up and didn't measure a lot so once again, let your tastes determine how accurately you follow my rough amounts.

Ingredients:
2 parsnips
2 Italian Yellow Squash
6 Red Potatoes
5 Carrots
1 (large) sweet potato (the white kind, not the orange yam)
1 or 2 Kielbasa type dinner sausage(s) (I used turkey sausage). Depends on how much sausage you want.
1 yellow onion
1 Red Bell Pepper
3-ish  garlic cloves
Oil
About 2 T. Thyme
Salt (to taste)
Pepper (to taste)

Preheat your oven to 325* (longer roasting) OR 425* (much faster roasting time)

Peel and roughly chop the parsnips, carrots, onion and sweet potato.
Wash and roughly chop the potatoes, squash, and bell pepper.
Dice the garlic cloves.
Slice the sausage.

Mix your thyme, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
Mix all the vegetables and then drizzle just enough oil to evenly and lightly coat. Sprinkle your seasoning mix over and mix. Taste a bit of carrot to test the seasoning amount. Add more salt/ pepper as desired. Remember, though, as these roast the flavor from the onion, garlic, and sausage will boost your dish.
Mix in the sausage.

Line a cookie sheet with foil for easy cleanup and dump everything out on the cookie sheet.

Bake in the 325* oven for about 55 minutes (or until veggies are tender and brown) or bake in the 425* oven for about 20 minutes (or until veggies are tender and brown). STIRRING HALF WAY THROUGH. If your veggies are tender, but not browned you can broil them for a few minutes.

Enjoy!

Note, I roasted mine in two ceramic dishes because it was super pretty when I put it on the table. And I got a new ceramic dish for Christmas and wanted and excuse to use it.

No comments: